Re: Raymond's

'
> Ah, yes, Raymond's!  One time many years ago, I was downtown shopping with
> my father, and he said, "Let's go into my store."  It took me a moment to
> realize what store he meant.  His name was Raymond.
	Q:  I remember the oldtimer character wearing a top hat (smoking a pipe
	    like Popeye, I think) the store's logo on the Raymond's sign, and
	    inside on the store walls, with the words:
	    	"The Home of Uncle Eph" Pronounced: "Eee-ff"? (Ephrim?) or "Ffff"?
   ...and wasn't Raymond's the first to use "Discount Department Store"
in Boston?
   (A different concept than Wm. Filene's =Automatic= Bargain Basement)

  A large apartment complex which is partly in Brookline and partly in
West Roxbury
> was built in the late 1940s by John Hancock Insurance and named "Hancock
> Village."

	PS/ I had a distant Uncle who had a riding stable on this property
	    many years before the hancock Village development.

	I enjoy reading your nostlgia posts, Joe.  I grew up in Boston during
	those years and 1948-1949 are of special interest to me. You don't
	=really= shop at Filene's Bargin Basement, do you?