Re: 1939...

At 01:03 PM 10/11/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>Donna Halper wrote
>>Everybody is right on this one, including me.  According to the research
>>Scott and I did for WBZ's 75th, Westinghouse had planned to buy several
>>stations-- they made offers on them and thought they were really close, but
>>both deals evidently fell through.
>
>        Given the group ownership limit rules of that time, and the fact
>that Springfield is a smaller market, it's a wonder WBZA survived as long
>as it did. IMO, Westinghouse would have been better off doing what it
>finally did at an earlier time--dumping WBZA to buy something in a larger
>market. For example, we see from this discussion that in 1962 it had no
>station in NY and no station in LA.

People seem to forget that Westingouse owned both KEX and WOWO at one time.
KEX was the first to go; WOWO was the second. I don't recall which stations
KEX and WOWO were jettisoned for. Also, WOWO was originally licensed to
Chicago, as was KYW. Why Westinghouse moved BOTH stations I don't know. I
think it was many years before Westinghouse acquired another Chicago
station, WIND.

I assume that because Westinghouse owned both IB stations on 1190, WOWO's
application for 50 kW had a much easier time than it otherwise would have
had. Actually, WOWO was 10 kW-ND before it got its increase to 50 kW in the
50s. The directional 50-kW nighttime signal put much less than the
equivalent of 10 kW toward KEX, so Westinghouse won two ways when WOWO went
to 50 kW.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205