Re: WJIB Night-time power

Hi Kevin:
     How well does our 5 watt signal do at night ? Surprisingly, quite
well, thank you.  Our 5 watt nighttime signal covers many of the
downtown business and residential sections within the City of Boston,
as well as Cambridge, Arlington and sections of Lexington, Somerville
and Quincy (and I may have missed a few).  Mainly, it all depends on
the strength of skywave from other "740" stations in the northeast
(VOCM a.k.a. CHCM/Marystown, Nfld, WGSM/Huntington, NY and others),
the ever-present "splatter" of CKAC/730 in Montreal (no NRSC filtering
there) and, more importantly, the quality of the radio that you are
using.  I, too, have been amazed on how well our nightime signal
travels.  Our nightime transmitter is an LPB 30 watt unit, throttled
down to our authorized 5 watt level.  It is extremely clean, both in
terms of audio quality and in RF signal quality.  And no, we do not
use our Stereo signal at night, due to the "platform motion" that so
often accompanies the skywave interference on the Motorola (C-QUAM) AM
stereo system. However, I am amazed how many people actually listen to
our signal in Stereo, in the day.  Some people have said that in spite
of our less than "Superpower" signal (250 watts, ND), ours is one of
the better sounding AM Stereo stations in the market.  You know
something ?  I tend to agree with them.  Thank you for the note.

73,

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Engineer, WJIB/Cambridge, MA

> >   Protected under International Treaty.  Even if the Toronto
> >allocation is silent for a while, we still will have to powerdown to
> >our respectable 5 watt authorization at sunset.  It is pretty much
> >"cut and dry". That's the way it is.
>
>     So in reality just how much ground does the 5 >watts carry at
night?

==