Re: ID's in CANADA?

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Martin J. Waters wrote:

> ID'S WE DON'T NEED ANY ID'S
>  Yes, up here some stations particularly those stations on FM may never
> give what you would call a legal ID, as the American stations have to
> once each hour. Canadian stations as far as I can figure must give their
> legal call sign once a day not once an hour.

I wonder whether the rules in Canada changed at some point.  When I first
started listening to CBC stations, circa 1962 or so, they used to ID at
least on the hour (and maybe on the half hour, too, though I can't
remember for certain) with the call letters and location.  This wasn't
always a Community of License as we know it.  CBL IDed as "CBL and CBC-FM,
Toronto."  CBA, then transmitting from Sackville, N.B., IDed as "CBA,
Maritimes."  Later, presumably when the CBA transmitter was moved, they
began to ID as "CBA, Moncton."

Sometime in the late 70s, the CBC stations all started IDing as "CBC
Toronto," "CBC Moncton," etc.  Sometime in 1980, I managed to catch CBL's
sign off around 1 AM, and they still identified themselves as CBL at that
time.  If they had any local programming during the day (when I couldn't
receive them), they may have IDed with the local call letters.  But at
least during the evening hours, when they were just carrying the CBC
network programming, the ID was simply "CBC Toronto."

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/