Re: Thoughts on "quality rock"

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:50:00 -0400 (EDT) Garrett Wollman
<wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

>Rating success is generally not why they're doing it.  That's why most
>of the remaining AAA stations in the country are non-comms or
>independently-owned.  Most of them are happy to *not lose* money, and
>aren't really out to strike it rich.

Interesting... you mean there are people in this world who could make
more money, but choose not to?  There's a concept!

>Let's take a look at the most prominent AAA stations in the East:
>
> 99.9 WCLZ-FM Brunswick	- was independent, now part of a large
>			(but local) Portland-area group

and is plagued by poor ratings.

>104.7 WNCS Montpelier
>103.1 WRJT Royalton
> 95.7 WSHX Danville
> 92.5 WXRV Haverhill	- all owned by the same guy, Steven
>Silberberg

WXRV is certainly plagued by low ratings, unclear about the others.

> 92.7 WMVY Tisbury	- not sure what the situation is these days

I am unclear about their ratings.

>100.7 WVAY Wilmington	- was independent, now relay of:
> 95.3 WRSI Greenfield 	- was independent, now part of a large
>			(but local) N.H.-Vt. group

and plagued by low ratings.

>100.1 WDST Woodstock	- independent, owned by GM/PD (IIRC)

Unclear to me how they are doing, they are a very local station.

>104.5 WXLE Mechanicville - was independent, now assimilated into the
>			borg, not sure what they're doing formatically
>			since the sale

and plagued by low ratings.

> 88.5 WXPN Philadelphia
> 88.1 WXPH Harrisburg
> 90.5 WKHS Worton	- non-comm. operated by U.Penna.

> 88.7 WNCW Spindale
> 92.9 W225AA Boone
> 95.5 W238AE Beech Mountain
> 97.3 W247AB Greenville (S.C.)
>100.7 W264AF Charlotte	- non-comm. operated by Isothermal
>Community
>			College; runs a regular NPR schedule, with
>			the very cool ``Crossroads'' in the local
>			blocks

I am unclear about these operations as well.  Anyone?

>I guess we'll find out what WKZE-FM is doing this year in a couple of
>weeks...

In Barre, PA?

Rick Kelly

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]