Standards

In a message dated 9/13/98 6:58:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mwaters@wesleyan.edu writes:

<< Does this, maybe, explain why Buckley Broadcasting, which
 has a lot of experience and a record of success, has just added a fourth
 transmitter to relay adults standards -- music of your life type
 programming -- throughout central Connecticut? With all the talk that
 advertisers don't want this older audience, so that this format is a loser,
 this seems to go against that. Does anyone have thoughts? >>

Adult standards is a growing format, especially since it has "moderned-up" its
sound over the past 10 to 15 years.  Gone is most of the big band material and
a lot of the really obscure 50's titles, and in its place are the big 50's
names, Sinatra, Como, even some Elvis, with music from the 60 & 70's woven in.
You'll even hear an occasional 80's or 90's tune on adult standards nowadays.
I think you'll see the format continue to evolve over the next several years.
As the baby boomers begin to age into the 55+ demo, I would not be suprised to
see the current "oldies" format more or less become the "standards" station.

Connecticut has done well with the format recently.  In addition to the
Buckley stations, WNLC-FM-East Lyme is the number two station in New London
County running this format--and they take it off the bird.  Connecticut does
have an older and affluent population, which is why the format is successful
there.  Same goes for Cape Cod, where WOCN is consistantly near the top of the
ratings.  I think for the format to make money, the population has to be BOTH
older and affluent, not one or the other.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks