Re: 860 in Toronto

>Tim Davisson wrote:
>Scott & group:
>I totally agree with your comments about CBL's
>demise.  Really, I wonder if the CBC has any
>idea how many people in the Canada & US
>really enjoy their programs? Of course, they're
>targeting Canadians, not us.

        When I sent an e-mail message a year or two ago to the CBC opposing
the abandonment of the AM signals, the reply was basically that (1.) They
have reception problems in the Toronto area so their audience (i.e., the
taxpayers) grumbles; and (2) They have budgetary concerns (i.e., related to
(1) -- they don't want to be seen wasting money operating stations that the
public perceives as having bad signals and operating on a broadcast band
that's full of static and interference. As they also pointed out to me, the
CBC has a SW service for you and me.
        I agree with you, though, that their Class A stations on AM serve a
purpose by informing some people in the U.S. a bit better about Canada and
generally conveying a positive impression of Canada to the very nearby
neighbors. SW is no substitute. Let's face it, SW is an even more obscure
and hardly-listened to broadcast band than AM, at least for the moment <g>.