Re: Upton Bell Firing Article

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 FMradio1@aol.com wrote:

> Look at the local mom and pop ownerships around New England.   Most of the
> stations owned by these groups are satellite, automated, or leased-time for a
> good portion, if not all of the broadcast day.  Why?  It's cheaper.  The mom
> and pops SHOULD try to be more localized to go after the big corporate owned
> stations, but most of them aren't, because it's cost prohibitive.  Allowing
> companies to only own a few stations isn't going to make the problem go away.

You've got a point there.  Look at Bob Bittner's operation, for example.
I doubt there is anyone who would =want= more than Bob to do radio the
old-fashioned way if he could.  But his automated operation allows WJIB to
pay for itself

I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression that WJTO is not quite as
automated, and has more of a paid staff, than WJIB.  If so, this is
because the market that WJTO is in makes it possible.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/