Re: Fwd: A Scam at WALE?

According to Will Phillips of Oregon:
"J.C. Clayton, executive producer, told us that WALE has the most
powerful AM station in the Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island
area, with a listening audience of over three million people."

I'll stick up for J.C.C. on this one.  It has been pointed out by more
than one person on this list that WALE is certainly not the most
powerful AM station in southern New England.  Agreed.  Bearing in mind
that we don't have Mr. Clayton's exact words, however, let us consider
he may have been speaking of a tri-state area which falls within the
sphere of influence of Providence.  That would easily include Fall River
and Attleboro.  It's a challenge for me to come up with a significant
Connecticut community that would look toward Providence for its media
needs...I doubt Ballouville and Moosup count for much.  Anyway, note
that Mr. Phillips does not say he was told WALE is the most powerful AM
station in CT, MA, and RI.  He says (allow me to change the punctuation
here) the most powerful AM station in the CT-MA-RI area.  That may
simply be a colorful way of saying the Providence market.
Claiming an audience of more than 3 million people would be quite a lie
indeed.  Claiming a POTENTIAL audience of more than 3 million would not
be, um, quite as big a lie...and it is possible Mr. Phillips omitted
that qualifier from his notes.  Yes, it's a real stretch to imagine 3
million sentient human beings tuned to WALE, but you never know...some
freak occurrence could knock all other broadcast outlets within a
50-mile radius off the air and under the circumstances the FCC might say
the heck with Canadian treaties and allow WALE to go non-directional.
Of course, even then there'd be hundreds of thousands of people who
wouldn't know enough to try the AM band if they didn't hear anything on
FM, but maybe they'd catch on after awhile.