Re: scam at WALE

Compounding matters, we ought not forget that WALE is the former WLKW,
which, on 990 kHz, a Canadian Clear Channel, must beam all of its signal
away from that country.  Thus, almost all of WALE's 50kW signal is beamed
out to sea.  WLKW as it was doesn't exist anymore because it was a failure.
Someone took New Bedford, Massachusetts' 1400 AM station's calls and gave
them to WLKW.  But WLKW still was WLKW in signal, which I recall was barely
listenable for all its 50kWs in my then-hometown of Sharon, MA, about 25
miles north of Providence off I-95.

Years ago, I visited then-WLKW-AM and FM and asked its Chief Engineer why
the station bothered with 50kW since virtually all of it went out to see.
His response was correct: "Still, we can say we're the most powerful (AM)
station in Rhode Island."  From a marketer's standpoint, that's correct.
But it's now just a "WALE-tale."

I have been involved in brokered-time situations as well, and of course,
stations and coverage areas are routinely exaggerated.  And how does any
station claim a 3-million or even 3,000-person listenership?  Ratings are
not proof, as not everyone who listens to radio is questioned.

The important thing to remember is that this is still an ALLEGED incident.
People make all kinds of claims today, whether for the thrill of publicity,
enrichment by money, or both.  We must first allow time for the facts to be
proven before we make judgement either way.

Just like, while many of us don't particularly like Mr.. Clinton's politics,
we cannot judge whether Monica Lewinsky is a true victim or just another
thrillseeker.  Remember:  in this country, we are supposed to be considered
innocent until (and unless) proven guilty.  Thank God the general public
doesn't sit on the judge's bench!

(shel)