Re: Today's LTAR

Dan B wrote--

>I have finally heard an example of something that I think should be
illegal to
>say on the radio.  I agree that it should be illegal to call for the
murder of
>the President (or any other person for that matter) on the radio.  There are
>limits to my support for free speech.

My point exactly.  This is not a free speech issue.  Like it or not, many
people listen to talk show hosts and take them seriously.  About ten years
ago, a station that ran all Ku Klux Klan radio (really) did a show on how
to blow up a N****'s house.  Somebody did complain and the FCC did the
right thing and took the station off the air.  Advocating a point of view,
even one that I dislike, *is* free speech.

David Brudnoy interviewed a guy from NAMBLA last year, and I think NAMBLA
is the lowest organisation on the face of the earth.  But the person he
interviewed did not give instructions on how to molest young boys nor was
he allowed to get into a rant on why sex with minors is wonderful.  From a
free speech point, it was permissible-- although to me, in poor taste to
give people like this a forum.  I supported David Duke's right to speak
when he came to town a couple of years back, and I am no fan of Uncle
David's either.  But anyone, be they right wing or left wing, who advocates
violence, I say take them off the air and do not give them a  50,000 watt
way to spread their beliefs.