Re: Capstar Strikes Again

>This strikes me that it is time for Congress to revisit the Communications
>act and provide that LOCAL be put back into Broadcasting.  These big
>conglomerates will decimate broadcasting as we know it today.   It is time
>to bring down the curtain on this experiment in big business owning stations
>in every market and especially in the seacoast of NH, where Capstar is the
>majority owner of all but 4 stations in the market.

And pray tell, what do you think the big broadcasting companies would do
if such a measure were to come into being?  Sit on their heels and cry
into their hankies?  Fat chance.  They'd be out lobbying against it the
minute it hit the floor of Congress.  And if it were somehow to pass
Congress, they'd be challenging the measure in the courts the very second
the President dotted his i's and crossed his t's.  Any company worth its
salt would do that.  It's called protecting one's investment.

And any politician who would seriously talk about doing such a thing
clearly has their head buried far too deep in the sand to ever earn my
vote, IMO.

Once you let the genie out of the bottle, you can't put it back in.

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu