WWNY/7 Watertown-Carthage, NY

     While visiting my two kids at camp in the Old Forge area of NY
state (about 50 miles north of Utica), I had the oportunity to take a
sampling of North Country Television.  Apparently, Channel 7 (WWNY-TV)
is mainly a CBS affiliate.  I did not see any offerings from any other
network on their air signal.  They don't seem to be getting much
airtime sold.  Even during "Live with Regis and Cathy Lee", the local
availabilities were wall-to-wall PSA's or station promos.  I did have
a chance to sample their local news breaks during "CBS This Morning".
It is definitely "home-grown" flavored.  No flashy graphics (a-la
WHDH), just good old character generation and no animation.  Kinda
reminds me of news in Boston from the mid to late eighties.
     Channel 2 (WKTV) didn't exist up there (Old Forge).  It has to
have one of the worst signals for a VHF-lo, I have seen in years.  In
fact, WPBT/2 from Miami was coming through, loud and clear with good
old Barney and his purple self (via e-skip)!!  No sign of Watertown's
Channel 50.  All of the Rochester stations (WROC/8, WHEC/10 and
WOKR/13) with the exception of the UHF's (21 and 31) were coming in
rather nicely.  Yes, Channel 13 was in STEREO !!!!  Way to go, guys !!
 Channels 3, 5 and 9 from Syracuse came in , O-K.
     Word has it that 94.1 in Old Forge will be coming soon.  I
wonder, though, how well they will do once the tourists leave ?  Who
knows.
     That's it for now.  Back to work, I go. 73

- -Pete (K1XRB)

==