No Subject

interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu)

Subject: Re: CBS Boston blows it again!!!

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Gary F wrote:

(excerpt)
  I would assume CBS Washington was doing something at 5 PM.....

Bob Paine :
  I was channel surfing between the Washington and Baltimore stations.
If you mean the CBS affiliate, yes, WUSA-TV 9 was well into it by 5 pm.
Mike Buchanan, 4 pm news co-anchor, stayed on the air with 5 pm co-
anchor J.C. Hayward. Her partner, Gordon Peterson, was live from the
Capitol.
  I don't know when the story broke on TV but it was going on 9 and
NewsChannel 8 (cable) when I turned the set on around 4 pm. Channels 4
(NBC O&O) and 7 (ABC affil) began coverage soon after. Fox 5 came on a
bit later, around 4:30 pm or so as I recall.
  Baltimore stations picked up on the story not long after 4 pm. I don't
recall who was first. 13 (CBS O&O) was relaying CNN as I don't think the
net was doing coverage yet. 11 (NBC) and 2 (ABC) were into the story by
5 pm.
  13 cut away from CNN and went to CBS for a time. Then, I think, the
net wrapped up live coverage for a bit and 13 went back to CNN. After
ten or fifteen minutes or so they went back to CBS.
  Interestingly, C-SPAN did not begin coverage till around 5 or 5:30. I
checked both channels and only saw C-SPAN 1 doing anything.
  Ch. 2 (Baltimore) sent a crew to the Capitol. They did a live feed
some distance from the Hill and eventually were able to get onto  the
grounds.
  NewsChannel 8 did an excellent job covering the story. It had two or
three people in the field and may have taken some video from Ch. 7,
which is part or full operator of the cable operation. One News 8
reporter was on ABC as well.