Re: Fw: Editorial Judgement (was CENSORSHIP on WBZ RADIO)

> >Dan, to be correct, CENSORSHIP, is not just a government action.
> >Any attempt to limit free speech in any form is CENSORSHIP.  Whether
it be
> >the radio, television, movies, or yes even the record industry.
These are
> >all censors.  We as parents censor our kids language and their
behavior.
> >Censorship is not a government issue thing.  It is societal.

The dictionary I have (Websters unabridged) referes to 'censorship' as
being an "official"  act.  Such as a government action, military,
historical Rome's practice of wacthing over the public morals,

Because they had been given the power to inflict a public mark of
ignominy.  Or to use their governmental authority to censure such acts..
.

And in America, we have agreed that the officials in power should be
slow to use this power and respectful of it's citizen's freedom of
expression.  (After all, nude dancing in a topless bar *is*, by law, a
form of "expression".  However, we are not free to repeat state secrets.
)

We use the word "consorship" in a more colloquial way as well.  I may
"censor' what TV shows my kids watch.  I may 'censor' a client or an
employee who is monopolizing productive time.  All of which is within my
authority to do!

So the difference is between an OFFICIAL act of censorship...which we
should be slow to accept.....AND....a private citizen, someone using the
authority to which he been given.

In terms of government or official censorship, we the people
(collectively) have decided how much power to give the government.

But in terms of the "societal" censorship that was referred to earlier
by someone.....  They just might be excercising the authority that was
given to them to use such as a parent or a business owner/investor.

Let's not fall into the trap that *any* attempts to censor are bad.
And that *nothing* can be 'censored'...or deemed inappropriate by
private citizens...or those making business decisions.

Some censorship is appropriate...especially in the workplace...and in
the case of radio....where the 'product' is concerned.

BM