Re: CENSORSHIP on WBZ RADIO

I would disagree with you only on this point: programming music is different
than programming talk.

In the case we are speaking about, the show is a sports talk show. If the host
thinks the caller has a valid point on a topic, where does the programmer get
off calling in and shutting off the caller? I did not hear the call but I know
that Butch from the Cape is a HUGE sports fan and was making comments about
sports. That fits in with the format being programmed which is sports talk and
sports commentary. The host has the power to decide if the caller is making a
point that he wants heard. If, as you say, Lobel cut someone off who wanted to
talk hypothetical trades and Lobel wasn't in the mood for that TOPIC, he is
within the rights as the host to end that conversation. Strangely, management
disagreed with Butch'c COMMENTS, not the TOPIC and shut the caller off.
Butch's comments, albeit paraphrased on BRA, were within the realm of expected
norms on a sports talk show. Casey DIDN'T LIKE THE COMMENTS.  That is quite a
lot different than a DJ playing the Clash on a Classical music station, or the
example you gave Dan.

In a message dated 7/15/98 12:00:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Dib9@AOL.COM