FW: A clarification

WRKO speaketh:

 ----------
From:  Kevin Straley[SMTP:kevin@wrko.com]
Sent:  Monday, June 29, 1998 7:42 PM
To:  Roger Kirk
Subject:  Re: A clarification

I appreciate your input on last years program, you were right, it was a
bad
representation of the "Big 68".  Everything was ready to go last year and
because of one bad operator who should not have been in the studio for
such
an undertaking, it came off as very sloppy in spots.  I wish you were in
town this year because I think we have gone a long way to fix those
problems.  Our goal is not to match the exact sound of the old RKO, as
talk
radio guys we don't have the skills to pull that together.  We are hoping
to bridge a gap between the old and the new and throw a little of cheese
into the mix.  This year we have added Arnie Woo Woo Ginsburg, Joe and
Andy, and Mark Parenteau to our stable of talk hosts to add to the
excitement of the countdown.  The talent, board ops, and production team
that put this together are all top notch.  I don't expect to hear glowing
reviews from some of the older RKO staff
but I have confidene that this broadcast will be a welcome (proffesional)
forty eight hour break for the loyal core listeners that make us a great
radio station.

Sincerely,

Kevin M. Straley
Program Director
WRKO
 ----------
> [...]
> If you didn't listen on 7/4, "Oh Boy!" what you missed:
>
> A. Announcer (Katz?) reminiscing about a particular song and album
> (let's say Tom Petty for example) while the music played (Creedence)
> bore absolutely no relation to the group the announcer was talking
> about.
>
> B. Afternoon Rock 'N' Roll bad-boy "Howie Carr" waxing eloquent about
> Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall Pt.II".  What gets played?
> About one minutes worth of A.B.I.T.W Reprise - not the Real Song.
>
> C. Paradise By The Dashboard Light - w/o Phil Rizzuto.  Whatta letdown.
>
> D. Noon Top Of The Hour Jingle promoting "News - followed by more
> music".  Followed by "LOTS AND LOTS OF SILENCE".  Followed
> by another jingle touting "A Commercial Break - followed by more
> music".  Followed by "EVEN MORE LOTS OF SILENCE".  Followed
> by the News Sounder and a very mediocre newscast.
>
> All this in just the 2 hours I was listening.  I cringe to think of all
> the other gaffes (engineering and musical) I was fortunate enough to
> avoid.
>
> Very Little Effort put into what could have been a great promotion.
>
> The songs played were touted as being "voted" by the listeners.
> Sounded mostly like WEGQ listeners.
>
> N.B. I worked there when it was "The Big 68" - how pitifully
> unprofessional you have become.

>  -------------
>
> I recognize that it was a Promotion.  I recognize that it's
> a way to give the staff a holiday off.  I also recognize that
> it wasn't mega-crucial to the ratings.  What bothered me
> was the unprofessional presentation.  Realistically speaking,
> I would have been reprimanded and possibly suspended if that
> many mistakes had occurred in 2 hours on my shift.  I took
> pride in my work and always strived for the best possible air
> presentation.  In the early 70's. WRKO aired a weekend
> production entitled "The WRKO Hall Of Fame".  While
> completely scripted, it was done live by the Jocks and Board
> Ops - who carefully checked and re-checked everything so that
> little or nothing would go wrong.  The only problem I remember
> was - by co-incidence, the format ended up calling for 2 songs
> back to back with a short (3-second) jingle between AND both songs
> happened to be on the same single.  Two techs, quick hands
> and it went off without a hitch.
>

> Unless the 4th of July presentation was intended to be a spoof
> or joke, I find little reason to be either proud or defensive of it.
>
> 1. The obviously wrong versions of music show lack of knowledge,
> inability to obtain the correct music or lack of caring.
>
> 2. The incorect pairing of voice-over and music can only be attributed
> to carelessness, lack of caring  or a board-op totally unfamiliar with
> the music being played.
>
> 3. The News problems - someone totally unfamiliar with the format, the
> equipment, lack of caring, etc????
>
> I felt then, as I feel now - it was a sub-par presentation.  I could
have