Re: Speaking of Sports

     As an FM network affiliate (WBIM-FM), we were permitted to run
virtually all ABC/News programming, except "Paul Harvey, News and
Comment" and "The Rest of the Story".  I think it was specially
advertiser sponsored (like True Value and Bose Wave Radios and such)
to where the radio stations HAD to run the commercials or not run the
show AT ALL.  Since WBIM-FM was and to this day is non-commercial, we
did not fit the mold.  We were, however, able to run "Howard Cossell,
Speaking of Everything", a fine "sustaining" interview show.  It gave
Howard a chance to talk about something other than sports.  He had
some great guests like George Burns, Jimmy Breslin, Gabe Kaplan
("Welcome Back, Kotter") and more.  Yup, we ran it !  It was the first
show of the day on Sunday mornings.  I still miss Howard.
     We got our ABC feed from WBET/WCAV in Brockton.  We bought the
digital card that was installed on WBET's main SEDAT satellite system.
 The phone feed was dedicated line (8 kHz line) from Brockton to
Bridgewater. (8 miles)

     Yup, that ABC feed was a real help for our news operation.  Then
again, we and virtually all "non-comms" lost their ABC feed when WBZ
took the feed away, via some "Territorial Exclusivity" clause in THEIR
contract with ABC. Funny thing was, they rarely ran any ABC newscasts.
 Beats me.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

- -Peter Q. George (Class of '84)
 WBIM-FM, Bridgewater State College
 Bridgewater, MA
- ---Chris Sullivan <CJSULLFLA@webtv.net> wrote:

> My memory of "Speaking of Sports" is that Cosell introed the broadcast
> as "This is Howard Cosell speaking of sports on American Contempory
> Radio." The sounder used was the standard contempory one. I don't know
> if non-contemporary stations could use it. I do know that Information
> had its own sports dept which produced reports called "World of
Sports"
> It was fed at 6 minutes past the hour.
>
> Chris Sullivan
> CJSULLFLA@webtv.net