WJIB and Chinese programming

>On Sun, 21 Jun 1998 you wrote :
>I think he's onto something all right, but it's NOT true that WJIB has no
>competition in Chinese programming. Multi-ethnic WBPS (890) runs a Chinese
>block every weekday, and at least part of it runs opposite WJIB's.

Different dialects, though. WJIB's programming is mostly in Mandarin
with some segments in Cantonese. It is produced by Sariana Chiang's Asian
American Broadcasting Company.
I guess she moved the program to AM 740 from WNTN AM 1550 in Newton.
Maybe Orestes Demetrades raised his rates over at 1550...:)

At the same time, the show you hear on WBPS is all in Cantonese,
mostly music and news from Hong Kong. It's sponsored by  a group of
local banks and variety of Asian American-owned businesses in the
Quincy area. The program is called "The Cantonese Show".
I think it also airs on WJDA in Quincy which has one of the largest
Asian populations in Eastern Mass. It was estimaed recently that half
of Wollaston section in Quincy is now 50% Asian.

Cantonese is primarily spoken in Southern China while Mandarin is
the national language in PRC.

According to 1990 US Census, this states' Asian population was 153,000.
It's the highest growing population in the country and the state.

- -Mark