Re: WJIB-AM Program Developments

Sven asked--
>So what is the story with the new leased access
>Chinese programming on the weeknights? Does Bittner
>_really_ need the money that badly to keep the
>little stations afloat? Can the situation be really that
>bad? I applaud Bittner's courage in maintaining the
>"elevator music" format on the two stations and I
>do wish him well in the long run.

Well, in order for him to be commercial free during the day, he needs to
have some kind of income when possible-- the electricity and the rent must
be paid... given that his night power is small, why not lease it out to
various ethnic groups and make some money-- until such time as his ship
comes in and he gets a 24 hour frequency!  I gather he has tried several
kinds of programming at night, and I commend him for making the frequency
available to college students, ethnic groups, etc.  It seems to me that Bob
is turning a negative (low power) into a positive, fulfilling his obligation
as a community broadcaster should-- too bad more broadcasters don't do this...