Re: Bruins

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Mark wrote:

> I had the pleasure(?) to board op Bruins and Red Sox games back in the mid
> 80's at WHAV Haverhill

I board op'd the Bruins/Red Sox on WMER/Portland (now WJAE) back in
the 80s and the audio quality of that feed was so abysmal that I found
myself turning down the volume on the board.  I knew it was time for a
local break when the meters stopped bouncing. :)  By that time it was
already :20 into the local avail, so I would always rejoin the
network late.

At one point we had so many sports commitments on WMER that we would
air some play-by-play on tape delay.  I would fire up the ReVox A-77
at 3-3/4 ips on record and insert the spots on the fly.  On playback I
went home and had a nice dinner, arriving back in time to change
reels.  Ah, those were the days... :)

Take care,

Chris, who once missed a :90 avail with his famous "insertion"
technique and was heard to scream "OH SH**!!!" while pounding his
steering wheel on Main Street in Westbrook :)