No Subject

Subject: Boston Radio Hall Of Fame

I think this newsgroup should set-up a Boston Radio Hall Of Fame and a
 Boston TV Hall Of Fame to recognize those individuals who have made
 major contributions in the broadcasting field.

Here are my nominees for the Boston Radio Hall Of Fame. I'll follow it up
 with a list of nominees for the Boston TV Hall Of Fame in my next post:

* "BIG BROTHER" BOB EMERY: Although he also was on TV for many years (host-
 ing the FIRST network TV children's show, DuMont's "Small Fry Club" in
 1947 and seventeen years at channel 4), he is in the Radio Hall for being
 one of the pioneering announcers at WGI Medford in 1921.

* JOHN SHEPHARD III, founder of the Yankee Network.

* W. GORDON SWAN, early program producer at WBZ/WBZA radio.

* NED FRENCH, one of the very first "disc jockies" in Boston radio, whose
 "920 Club" at the old WORL was the first instance of a radio station
 playing recorded popular music all day and becoming a big success, a
 precursor to radio as we now know it.

* FRED HOEY, the first man to do play-by-play of baseball on radio in the
 Boston area for the Yankee Network in the 1920's and 1930's.

* CAROLINE CABOT, one of the earliest women on-air in Boston, who was on
 the old WEEI for decades.

* JAY McMASTER, who was a staff announcer at WMEX for many years, going from
 the man who introduced John Kiley's organ selections in the 30's to a DJ
 during the 50's (I'm not totally sure how long he was at 'MEX, but I think
 Mr. McMaster survived there into the top-40 era).

* CARL DeSUZE, who was at WBZ radio for over four decades, most of which as
 morning personality.

* E.B. RIDEOUT, pioneering weather reporter at the old WEEI, who spent
 nearly four decades there, from the 1920's well into the 1960's.

* SHERM FELLER, who helped to make late-night programming--and later on,
 talk shows--important.

* BILL MARLOWE, whose voice could be heard on Boston radio for over four
 decades (principally playing MOR/standards) until his death.

* JOHN DAY, news commentator for several stations, mainly WBZ and WHDH.

* BOB ELLIOTT and RAY GOULDING, who parlayed their work as announcers at
 WHDH radio into a long-term partnership in commercials and TV specials,
 as well as radio.

* NELSON CHURCHILL, news anchor/reporter at the Yankee Network.

* JOHNNY MOST, the longtime radio voice of the Boston Celtics.

* STAN RICHARDS, popular Boston disc jockey of the 1950's.

* ALAN DARY, whose MOR/standards shows were a staple of Boston radio for
 some three decades.

* ARNIE "WOO-WOO" GINSBERG, pioneering rock-and-roll announcer.

* STREETER STEWART, news anchor/reporter at WBZ for forty years.

* BRUCE BRADLEY, whose evening shows of top-40 music on WBZ during the
 1960's dominated nighttime radio in Boston.

* PAUL BENZAQUIN, whose afternoon talk show turned WEEI around after it
 lost many of the "old-line" CBS radio programs (soaps, etc.). His show
 became the cornerstone of a 24-hour talk format there which made WEEI
 one of the most popular radio stations in New England.

* DALE DORMAN, who has been playing the hits in Boston for some 30 years.

* JOEL CASH, midday man at WRKO for the first eight years (and it's
 most successful years) as a top-40 station.

* JERRY WILLIAMS, who brought issue-oriented talk to the Boston airwaves.

* LARRY GLICK, the "commander" of all-night radio.

* CHARLES LAQUIDARA, longtime morning man at WBCN (who now is on WZLX).

* MAXANNE SATORI, one of the first women to be an air personality on a
 major Boston station.

* JESS CAIN, whose humorous style made him a longtime favorite on WHDH's
 morning show.

* GUS SAUNDERS, who's hosted the "Yankee Kitchen" call-in cooking show
 for over 30 years.

* JIM DIXON, while never reaching the popularity levels of some other
 announcers, was a mainstay for years with his deep voice.

* "SUNNY" JOE WHITE, who in 1979 switched WXKS-FM to disco (which later
 evolved into top-40) and brought the station to the top while becoming
 one of Boston's most popular announcers.

* MATT SIEGAL, longtime WXKS-FM morning man.

* BOB WILSON, who called Bruins' games for nearly 30 years, while becoming
 acclaimed as hockey's best play-by-play man.

* EDDIE ANDLEMAN, longtime sports radio talk show host. He was among the
 first of what is now a large breed.

* DAVID BRUDNOY, current nighttime talk-show host at WBZ.

If you have any other choices, please feel free to submit them. Then,
 perhaps we can unveil the list of honorees.

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>