Same calls since day 1

It all sort of blends together, but I think the discussion was on the LTAR
that aired today, 5/31/98. The subject of Boston area AM stations that have
retained the same calls since they first went on the air came up. You
mentioned WBZ, which is the obvious one, but as readers of this group and of
your essays know, that is technically incorrect. What is now WBZ began as WBZA.

However, these are the ones I can think of:

In the city of Boston: none

In your home town: WJDA

WESX

In MetroWest:
WKOX
WSRO
WRPT (well, yes; even though what is now WRPT resembles what once was WRPT
in only one way that I can think of--both were/are nondirectional daytimers)

In the Merrimac Valley:
WCAP
WLLH
WCCM
WHAV (the last two only until the proposed call-letter swap among Costa's
stations occurs)

To the south of US:
WPLM
WBET (not sure that this is really true; maybe Peter George can shed some
light on WBET's original calls, if they weren't WBET)

And then two that have not had the same calls continuously but currently do
have the their original calls (both on the North Shore--or what I call the
North Shore):
WLYN
WNBP

If you exclude noncommercial FMs, of which quite a few, including the two
biggies, WGBH and WBUR, retain their original calls, there are also WHRB and
WCRB. That is, there is also WCRB if WCRB is still technically WCRB-FM, even
though there is no longer a related WCRB (AM). If WCRB-FM became WCRB (FM)
after the AM on 1330 became WHET, then WCRB doesn't (quite) qualify. In New
York, WQXR is still technically WQXR-FM, as far as I know, even though there
no longer is a WQXR (AM).

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205