weather balloon launch

     I clipped this item from a weather newsgroup.

     Thought it would be of interest to ham ops on this list.

     Lo
     School, Roger Perry, earth science teacher.  Additional assistance
     from the NWS.

     The SkyQuest hamradiosonde can be heard on home scanner radios and VHF
     ham radios on the 2 meter band at 145.61 MHz FM. It should be *real*
     easy to hear all over eastern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, southern
     New Hampshire, and northeastern Connecticut.  After gaining some
     substantial height I hope amateur radio operators with more sensitive
     receivers will be able to hear the radiosonde from as far away as
     southern Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, northern New
     Hampshire, and Maine.  Maybe even parts of eastern Canada at peak
     altitude.

     HF net control starting 1:00 PM Saturday on 3.860 MHZ from 1.5
     kilowatt W1AW in Newington, CT (you can hear this station all over the
     eastern US).

     Two temperature channels (inside and out) and altitude will be
     measured continuously by means of audio tones.  Going up and down in
     frequency as the transmitter switches among the three channels, the
     tones will be heard for the duration of the flight.

     Hank Riley, N1LTV
     SkyQuest
     h1riley@umassd.edu