No Subject

Subject: What Will Lead Tonight's TV News?

Earlier today (May 28th), Pakistan exploded a nuclear weapon in an under-
 ground test.

You'd think it will be the lead story even on local TV newscasts tonight
 (May 28th).....

.....Except that actor Phil Hartman was reportadely found dead, a victim
 of murder (as I write this post, Los Angeles police are not confirming
 that Mr. Hartman indeed is dead. All they're saying is that "two
 adults" were found dead in Mr. Hartman's house).

I wonder which story will lead the news tonight??

For the Station Located Between Channels 6 And 8, Hartman will lead. The
 other major Boston newscasts may (unless there's a tremendously-big
 local story in the next few hours) lead with the Pakistan nuclear test.

I suspect the network evening newscasts will lead with Pakistan, with
 Hartman as the second story.

We may learn a lot about the ways of TV news--especially local TV news--
 by their choice of lead story this evening.

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>

P.S.: Phil Hartman was starring in the TV sitcom "Newsradio" which NBC
 had renewed for the 1998/99 fall season (strong ratings for the final
 first-run episodes in early May were the reason the show, which had
 struggled for most of the 1997/98 TV season, got the renewal). However,
 with it's star (reported) dead, I would be very surprised if "Newsradio"
 returns---or at least returns before January (as the show's producers
 may need time to re-tool the show to replace it's central character).