Re: Memory of Carl...

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Ira Apple wrote:

> Carl was always a gentleman and anecdotes about him were legion long before
> I worked with him in the 70’s.  When Carl was finished at 9:00AM, he was out
> the door by 9:00:02. This made it a challenge to have a meeting with him
> about his show – something he detested, especially if it involved any kind
> of critique. I learned early that the only way I could capture him was while
> he was on the air to go into his studio and take his coat and beret and hang
> them in my office. This worked fine on cold days, but to meet with Carl in
> the Summer months, meant waiting outside the studio door for him.

This explains the difficulty that I had when I tried to call him, back in
1980, in the story that I told a few days ago.  I had to place the call
just before his show was due to end.  But when I did reach him, he seemed
to enjoy remeniscing about his old early-50s TV show, and that was one
time that he was out the door a bit later.  We were on the phone for 15
minutes or more.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/