Re: Urban Legend (Was: Fwd: FW: A Friendly Tip)

At 12:07 PM 5/7/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Not true.  Just another urban legend being passed along to the
>un-suspecting.  Aren't there web sites where one can check up on such stuff
>before passing it along?

Sure SOUNDS like an urban legend, but while riding in my car last evening
about 5:30, I heard a Bell Atlantic spokesman being interviewed on a radio
talk show, (God forgive me--I _might_ have been listening to Howie Carr.)
Somebody brought this up and the BA guy said that the warning was valid! In
fact, he went on to explain why PBXs incorporate this feature. What he
didn't say (and what _may_ be the case) is that the feature doesn't work on
residential phones. I don't _know_ that it doesn't work on residential
phones, however. So before we put this one down, we need to check it out.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205