Lookin' For Adventure...

I caught up with the recent postings last night, and the ones
about "Adventure Car Hop" caught my interest. While I was
too young to independently visit the site at the time of its
operation, I do vaguely remember the ads.

A. Joseph Ross started it off back on Sun, 26 Apr 1998:
>While driving up Route 1 in Saugus today, I began to wonder
>where "Adventure Car Hop," famous for its commercials on
>Arnie Ginsberg's "Nighttrain" show, used to be.  Anyone know
>where it was and what's there now?

J.J. Wright responded:

Shel Swartz wrote:
>Arnie Ginsburg told me on the phone only yesterday, that the
>Car Hop is now the parking lot of the (Commodore?) hotel, in
>Saugus (I can'yt read my notes!!).  But it is now certainly a
>parking lot...many old Ginzburger wrappers likely buried under
>its pavement...

Mike Hemeon added:
>The Commodore is a restaurant.

This morning I happened to be in Beverly - for the first time in
a very long time - on business, and spotted an old sign:
"Commodore Restaurant, Rt 1A, No. Beverly". Being in the
neighbohood, and with the postings fresh in mind, I decided to
check it out. Perhaps there was be a discrepancy with the
Rt. 1/Rt. 1A detail, and I could find some remnant of the old
Adventure.

The Commodore Building was pretty old, it seemed to me, and
not open yet. I went around the Delivery Entrance and found
a kitchen worker who looked to be in his sixties. I asked him if
he happened to remember the Adventure Car Hop, and was this
the original site?

He chuckled and shook his head. "No," he said. I used to go there
ALL the time - that's on Route 1. And he gave me specific
details as to where...

J.J. Wright wrote:
>YAY......I was right....er...wright.

He said it as next to the CONTINENTAL restaurant...as well as
beside CARUSO'S DIPLOMAT (a function hall)...on a piece of
land that is now occupied by a large storage shed, owned by
Continental. He told me it'd been torn down, and the shed was
put on the spot.

I passed it on my way home, crossed over to the North side
of Route One and there it was. A huge shed, in the middle of a
gigantic parking area, featuring little else but an ATM island,
set way back from the highway. Faded letters on the structure
read: CONTINENTAL.

I got out and took a stroll around the lot, searching for any
vestige of the Adventure Car Hop, but there wasn't so much
as a rusty sign mooring. It had all been paved over. Even behind
the place, in an over-grown field - where I hoped there'd be
some relic to verify Adventure's existence - I found nothing.
Time had erased it all.

I snapped a photo of the building on the massive lot for no
particular reason and drove away...the intrepid, yet unfulfilled
explorer.

- - Henry Dane