No Subject

Subject: Your Thoughts on TV Coverage of Los Angeles Freeway Chase

Yesterday afternoon (April 30th), Los Angeles' TV stations, for the most
 part (as they seem to do every time one happens) pre-empted about an
 hour of regular programming to cover live yet another freeway chase.

But this one was different. The suspect had briefly stopped to unflurl a
 banner (seen by TV news choppers) attacking Health Maintainace Organ-
 izations (HMO's). Then, resuming the chase, he eventually stopped his
 truck, set it on fire (killing a dog inside), then shooting himself in
 the head.

While airborne cameramen/women tried to zoom-out as the man put the gun
 to his head, it was too late. The suicide was plainly visible.

This has, in the hours since, become the big topic in Southern California.
 Several journalism professors have expressed outrage, while others,
 both in and out of the industry, noted that because this incident was
 being broadcast live, there was no way that the chase was going to end
 this way.

With the time difference, the chase took place around 7 or 7:30 P.M. here
 in the East Coast. I was not home and not near a TV set, so I'm wondering
 if any Boston TV stations pre-empted or intrerrupted regular programming
 to shot the chase, or if CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News Channel showed it live.

Live TV coverage of police chases seems to be a staple of Los Angeles
 television. I wonder if such live broadcasting might now be curtailed
 as a result of yesterday's events.

Incidentally, the suspect who committed suicide may have been HIV-positive
 or perhaps even had full-blown AIDS.

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>