No Subject

Subject: re: Charles vanDoren.

In my post about the "other" famous TV broadcasting scandal (the late m1950's
 quiz show flap), I neglected to mention what eventually happened to
 Charles vanDoren.

VanDoren was fired from NBC when he revealed he was given the questions and
 answers. In addition, he was sacked from a teaching job at Columbia Univ-
 ersity (which he would have left anyway had he, as had been rumored prior
 to his admitting his role in the quiz scandal, been picked to replace Hunt-
 ley & Brinkley on NBC's newscast).

VanDoren rebuilt his life and career, and went on to write a number of
 academic books. As far as I know, he's still alive, lives in New York,
 and perhaps still writes books and articles on occassion. However, he
 has yet to publically speak out on his experiences on "Twenty-One". I
 suspect however, before too many more years go by (in order so that
 he'll still be around to do it), that he will eventually write his
 memoirs. The chapter(s) on "Twenty-One" ought to be quite interesting,
 and worth the cover price.

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>