Promoting music on-air

In a message dated 98-04-25 11:42:18 EDT, spindoc@channel1.com writes:

<< In my humble opinion, the worst thing a radio station can do is
 pre-announce (tease) the song or artist that will be coming up next.  As
 soon as I hear that, it's as though I've already heard enough, and I'm out
 of there. >>

I think it depends on the format.  In CHR, where cume and quarter-hour
maintenance is crucial to ratings success, you have to tease records---but
only the hottest current songs and artists.  I wouldn't promote an older Pearl
Jam cut, but I would absolutely tell my listeners that the new song from the
TV show Ally McBeal, Searching My Soul is on the way, especially if the song
has been burning up the request lines all day.

In gold-based formats, like oldies, AC and Classic Rock, its not as important
to promote music, but you will hear musical features promoted all the time
like No Repeat Workdays, live concerts and block programming, like all Pink
Floyd for an hour or something...

Mike Thomas, WERZ & Premiere Radio Networks