No Subject

Subject: WQEW and WVNJ

I may have posted this earlier, but until the recent doings of 1560 in
 South Florida (WRHC?) going 50 KW ND at night, WQEW had, at my home in
 Norwood, Massachusetts, a great nighttime signal.

I have also from time-to-time picked-up WVNJ-1160 at night (especially
 since I got a DX-440 this past winter).

While some--perhaps our good friend Bruce Swoeigler--might consider WQEW
 an "Easy Listening" station, I would consider them more of a pop standards
 format and not "really" Easy Listening (WJIB-AM 740 is the best example
 of Easy Listening at the moment that I can think of).

Although I doubt that we'll get a pop standards format on a high-power FM
 station (even after the CBS divesture of ARS and the possible Jacor/
 Chancellor merger) after the wave of station sales we'll soon see in
 Boston (if any FM stations change formats, I'd suspect hot talk, an
 all-1980's hits and perhaps even "true" urban formats are more likely
 to happen than pop standards), perhaps there will be an AM station with
 a better signal than WXKS-AM (especially at night) that will wind up
 as a standards format (e.g. if CBS keeps WEEI's call letters and sports
 programming and puts them on 1150/100.7 or 1150/98.5, perhaps whoever
 ends up with 850 will put a popular standards format there--perhaps even
 with live local DJ's--and if Jacor/Chancellor does it, the WXKS-AM
 calls may go to 850 and 1430 becomes a 24/7 business station).

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>