Full-service AM music

A few weeks ago, we discussed some interesting, small, quirky
full-service AM music stations, like WIRY in Plattsburgh, N.Y.  I've
just spent the past hour listening to another one, courtesy of
RealAudio (the right implementation of the Wrong Thing).  The Sunday
morning local program on CFYK Yellowknife and CHAK Inuvik (otherwise
known as CBC North Mackenzie and Western Arctic) is called ``Bush
Radio'', and features a very diverse set of musical selections (from
Cracker to Mozart, literally!) along with weather forecasts and
community information (``the doctor will be in ----- today; if you'd
like to make an appointment, call ---- at -------'').  There are still
some parts of the high arctic that have yet to make it above freezing
this year.  The forecast for Inuvik today was flurries, high about 4
degC.

As I went to bed last night, I was listening to ``Saturday Night
Blues'' (a network program) on CFFB Iqaluit.  The audio quality on the
CFFB feed is higher than either CBM or CBL.

- -GAWollman

- --