Re: let's be civil...

<<On Sat, 25 Apr 1998 03:29:21 +0000, Dan Strassberg <dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net> said:

> standards format, in competition with WQEW and WJUX. The complaint alleged
> that, in contradiction to FCC rules, WJUX was originating its programming
> from Ft Lee (or someplace nearby) rather than from Monticello. Also, the
> area served by the translator does not fill a gap in the WJUX's coverage; it
> covers a completely separate (and very populous) area.

Actually, there is no problem with translating another station,
whether commercial or no, outside its theoretical coverage
area---provided that the translator is operated independently from the
primary, and receives no compensation therefrom.  The most serious
allegations made by 'VNJ were:

1) W267AQ did not pick up its signal off-air from Monticello, but
rather received a direct feed from Turro's studio (which was actually
located in Paramus, IIRC).  The violation was not that WJUX's
programming was originating from there---plenty of stations originate
in Dallas or Denver, after all---but that W267AQ's programming was
originating from there.

2) The licensees of WJUX were actually fronted the money to build the
station by Turro, and Turro had in fact leased out WJUX specifically
to have a nominal ``primary'' for W243AL and W267AQ.  This is
absolutely forbidden.

Allegation #2 is actually the more serious one, since it may also
cause the Monticello company which owns WJUX to lose the licenses on
their other stations.

- -GAWollman

- --