Re: WSRO

At 09:29 AM 4/22/98 EDT, you wrote:

>Has anyone really looked around the Marlborough area recently?  There is a
>sizable Asian, Portugese and Hispanic population.  Since most of the white
>listeners are listening to Boston or Worcester radio, how about "live and
>local" radio....just not in English?  The Hispanic population is rapidly
>growing in the Eastern Massachusetts area (Go to Fenway on a night Pedro
>Martinez is pitching and see for yourself.) IMHO, Ethnic radio is not a "waste
>of bandwidth" as some members of this list seem to suggest.  It's filling a
>hole that the major stations aren't, and obviously there is some money to be
>made in ethnic radio programming.

Who is right? You or Sean Smyth, who said that, aside from Hispanics,
Central MA is largely lily white? Presumably census data provide clues,
albeit clues that are now almost 8-1/2 years old.

>Sadly, the days of the full service, localized AM radio station (in English)
>are just about over, since funeral homes are putting their listeners in boxes
>on a fairly regular basis.  It's too bad, but we must keep reminding ourselves
>that radio is a business, and if there are not enough customers for a product,
>no matter how good the product is, the business is doomed to fail.

I believe that the life expectancy of a male aged 65 is 16 years. The life
expectancy of a male aged 81 is eight or nine years. I assume that you are
in your late twenties or early thirties and the idea that you may be alive
and vital and contributing to society when you reach 60 is so foreign to you
that you simply cannot grasp it. Unless you die prematurely (something I
confess I fervently hope for each time I read many of your posts), you will
one day come face to face with the fact that you have become an older
American. Maybe then it will finally dawn on you that there is life for
those over 30 and it continues for those over 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and even
90. The fastest-growing age group in the U.S. today is centenarians--people
over 100. The problem that older Americans face is not our advancing age;
everybody's age is advancing--believe it or not, even yours is! Our problem
is know-nothings like you, who would deny us the simple pleasures of life,
such as finding something we consider worth listening to on the radio. Your
generalizations about older Americans are repugnant. You get away with your
brand of sloppy thinking only because so many people of your age are
like-minded. You and your ilk have all of the depth and clarity of thought
of puddles in a dirt road after a brief August rainstorm in central Kansas.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205