Re: WIRY and WENT

Steve Ordinetz wrote:
> I have to admit that as bad as these stations sound (and no one can call
> these stations professional-sounding) there is a special place in my
mind,
> at least as a radio geek for this type of hokey small-market radio.  In
> this day & age I don't see how it can succeed in anything but small,
> relatively isolated markets, and I'm sure that it's a struggle to stay in
> the black....I can't imagine their spot rate is much more than $10/spot.
> My guess is that either pro sports or "guilt programming" (ie high school
> sports, etc) is bringing in the lion's share of the revenue.
>
> I've never heard WENT, but I'll have to check it out next time I'm out
that
> way.
                                                     I know that WIRY does
lots of high school sports(football,basketball,hockey in season).They also
carry Plattsburgh State College hockey,and N.Y.Yankees baseball.They also
carried NASCAR racing at one time,I heard racing on a weekend visit to the
Plattsburgh area a couple of summers ago,not sure if they still carry
that.WIRY has been owned since 1995(I believe) by Bill Santa,who owns the
local Pontiac car dealer which os conveniently located next door to WIRY's
studios and transmitter facility.I'm sure the car business brings in a few
$$,plus they seem to have a fair share of local spots,especially during the
local H.S. and college sports games.And as Gavin Burt pointed out in an
earlier post,WIRY is the only one of the 5 Plattsburgh-licensed stations to
be live and local for that city,which is also a plus for them.

                                              Mark Watson