WBOS signal

<<On Sat, 11 Apr 1998 21:26:15 -0400, jwc@travelin.com said:

> I know everyone has been debating the signals of the AM's, but I was
> wondering about the transmitter location/power for WBOS. Seems like
> lately their signal has had a lot of picket fencing, hash, fading in and
> out, etc..

The only thing of any significance that has happened to WBOS is that
all of the other Greater Media stations have left FM-128 for the Pru.
WBOS cannot, technically, be moved without pulling in its signal in
one direction or another.  I don't know whether they were using the
same radiators as WSJZ, which shared that level of the tower.

You might call them up and ask for their engineer, Steve Callahan
(assuming he still works there).

(Where I live, on the Brighton-Brookline line, WBOS has always ``had a
lot of picket-fencing, hash, fading in and out, etc.'', as indeed have
all of the Needham transmitters except WODS'.  Moving up to the Pru
has certainly helped the stations that did, and I am about equally
distant from both.  The difference is that the Pru stations, since
they only transmit from 771 feet, are allowed about 21 kW, as compared
to 8 kW from 1151 feet on FM-128.  By the way, has anyone else noticed
the new two-bay backup tower which recently popped up on the Pru?  I
was walking up Huntington Ave. taking pictures this afternoon, and
zoomed in on the top of the Pru, and noticed it for the first time.)

- -GAWollman

- --