Re: Stations that don't suck

In a message dated 98-04-09 09:29:24 EDT, steveord@xtdl.com writes:

<< I've always questioned their "best station" surveys anyway....WMMS in
 Cleveland seems to top that one a lot..they've always sounded just like any
 other rock station to me...I'm sure a lot of people in, say, Hartford
 (obligatory New England content) give a damn about some Ohio station.
 Whole thing sounds like a sham to me.>>

Historically, stations have petitioned Rolling Stone to be included on their
list, even going as far as providing music logs and getting their listeners to
write the magazine to "vote" for their favorite station.   WPLR in New Haven
used to pop up on RS's "best of" lists all the time, and it wasn't by
accident.  They would tailor promotions around getting onto Rolling Stone's
list.  I think WHCN in Hartford used to do the same thing many years ago.  I
don't know how RS comes up with their list now, but I'm sure it's not
"objectively."

Mike Thomas, WERZ & Premiere Radio Networks