Re: Opie and Anthony

Peter wrote...

"Now do our more astute historians remember the Rhode Island incident a few
years ago where someone's death was announced and a couple people got fired
including the cheif engineer over the incident? The facts are mixed up in my
mind between that and an actual shooting of a talk host, I think. Wonder if
the people involved with that prank made it to the big time."

I'm not an astute historian, but I was Afternoon News Anchor at WHTB in Fall
River and was "alerted" to the above story by a "Spy in the Sky" traffic
reporter.  Both the engineer and host were fired from WALE Providence and if
I remember correctly, Providence police also had a say in their future as
well.

If my memory serves me...it was reported that the host went out for a smoke
at the top of the hour and someone drove by and shot him.  The engineer, who
I knew when WALE was in Fall River, was the person who "broke" the story.
Providence police were alerted to the story and converged on the scene,
along with Providence television stations, all to see it was a hoax.

The worst part was...it wasn't even an April Fools Joke...just another day
in radio land...searching for ratings.

Marc Lemay