Re: Opie & Anthony prank

In a message dated 98-04-08 09:14:14 EDT, Steve Sawyer writes:

<< The only thing media moguls understand is $$$$$.  Were a large enough
lawsuit
 directed at WAAF, or better, ARS, and drawn out long enough, station
managements everywhere would take notice.>>

You are probably right, but I think that such suits have a chilling effect on
free speech and are an inappropriate use of the court system, particurlarly if
the suit is meant only to make the company take notice and the plantiff does
not have actual damages.  Do we really want to live in a country where the
media is dragged into court every time they do something that upsets someone?
I do not agree with the prank at all, but I do not think it rises to the level
that legal action of any kind is justified.  Even idiots are protected by the
First Amendment.  Parody and comedy (which this prank was a poor attempt at)
involving public figures has a long history of being protected by the courts.

 << Sadly, gags like WAAF's prank, and even the smallest enforcement actions
seem to only serve as another reason for small and medium markets to automate
and further satellite feed, which puts folks like me out of a job >>

This point is a real stretch.  The economics of too many radio stations
chasing too few advertising dollars is what leads to stations cutting costs.
Also, there are still plenty of radio jobs for those with talent.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine