Re: Opie & Anthony prank

At 07:28 PM 4/5/98 EDT, you wrote:

>Does anyone actually believe that O & A did this without management's
>approval?  Think about it, it's the first week of the spring book, and they've
>gotten tons of TV and print coverage over this prank.  Sounds like a
>caluclated move to me, and I wouldn't be suprised if manangement knew about
>it.  This "suspension" sounds like it's part of the plan..

Well, the mayor's law suit may have legs, but since there is no decency
issue involved, I doubt that the FCC will lift a finger. Maybe someone at
the FCC will raise an eyebrow for a second or two, but that is likely to be
extent of the FCC "action". In the last 10 years, has the FCC censured (much
less fined) any station for airing material that might have been in poor
taste but did not violate community standards of decency? I don't think so.
I think the FCC is most reluctant to get involved in situations of this sort
because there are freedom of speech issues, and they could lead down a
slippery slope to censorship.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205