Re: MESSAGE ID: 1EC610858

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 NORIAC@mln.lib.ma.us wrote:

> Subject: Re: Simulcasts.

> Going further back, several programs in the late 1940's and early 1950's
>  were simulcast on both network TV and network radio. Among them were
>  Arthur Godfrey's various shows (both daytime and nighttime), "The Voice
>  Of Firestone" (the pioneering showcase of classical music and opera),
>  "Ozzie and Harriet" (after 1952, when the TV version started), and even
>  Groucho Marx's classic game show "You Bet Your Life".
>
> But in the case of Groucho, the show was filmed (later taped) in advance,
>  and edited down to a half-hour. Not only that, but the two versions were
>  edited separately. The idea was that any interesting visual stuff would
>  be only in the TV version, and for the radio side, something else that
>  didn't need to be seen to be appreciated was inserted instead.

The Voice of Firestone was a true simulcast.  I remember discovering it on
radio at the same time that it was on television.  In fact, for some
reason, it was on two different radio stations.  But Groucho's show was
not a simulcast.  Besides the different editing, it was on television on
Thursday and on radio on Wednesday evening, and later at other times.

Also, "You Bet Your Life" was filmed, not taped, right to the end.  After
"You Bet Your Life' ended its run, Groucho tried another show called "Tell
it to Groucho."  That one was taped, but it didn't last very long.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/