Re: WTOP null / FM simulcast

>        There sort of is, IMO, especially for the larger market, higher
>power AMs, which mostly set up their current transmitting facilities back
>in the 1930s, or even the '20s. If they were engineered to put the signal
>where the people were then, and had to be directional, they located the
>transmitter so the required nulls were in the rural areas<

I believe the same rationale was in effect for Tampa, Florida's WFLA/970.
When that station was built barely anyone lived in the inland areas of
Florida as they do now, and of course, a northerly signal boost also met
northerners as they came to Florida; WFLA could have been great for the
tourism industry as it lured people down to the area.