Re: freq assignments

At 10:51 AM 8/7/97 +0000, you wrote:
> Something I have always been curious about but never been able to prove
>in print. When stations were given there final assignments back in the
>late 30's, the Chicago and New York clear channels were put side by side..
>
>660 WNBC (now WFAN)
>670 WMAQ
>710 WOR
>720 WGN
>770 WABC
>780 WBBM
>880 WCBS
>890 WLS
>
>I assume this was done by design, but have never been able to prove it.
>(also guessing that KDKA and WBZ were put side by side for the same
>reason.)

I don't know, but I think it may be a legacy from the days when the FRC
divided the country into regions. Note that of the stations on your list,
only WOR is a former Class IB; the rest were IAs. WOR definitely suppresses
radiation to the west (actually the northwest). The others are ND, although
WEAF, the prdecessor of WNBC/WRCA/WNBC/WFAN. used to directionali to the WEST.

A year or so ago, I read a posting on rec.radio.broadcasting from a
consulting engineer who said that the 660/670, 770/780, and 880/890 pairings
do not conform to current FCC rules on adjacent-channel skywave
interference. If that's so, then there's a worse violation in 760/770. WJR
is a couple of hundred miles closer to WABC than WBBM is.

BTW, before NARBA (3/29/41), what is now 770/780 was 760/770, and what is
now 880/890 was 860/870. But 660/670 did not change.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205