Re: WICE and early top-40

At 01:17 AM 8/3/97 -0400, Donna Halper wrote:

>Speaking of stations we don't talk much about, how about WSAR?  "Fall
>River's famous W S A R" went the singing jingle... there were a number of
>important smaller market top-40 stations in the 50s and 60s. And whatever
>did happen to WORC's Honest Dick Smith?  I recall from some of my record
>promoter friends that WORC and WSAR actually broke some hits back in the
>60s...

Never got to hear too much of them growing up in Springfield, Vt. with WCFR
also on 1480.  'CFR was a daytimer, but the frequency was kind of a
graveyard channel at night.  Do have a brief aircheck of them (WSAR) from
early '70.

Actually, in those days the smaller markets were where the hits were first
played...the bigger markets kept tabs on what was happening in the
small-to-midsize markets for hits they didn't want to go out on a limb on.