WICE and early top-40

somebody asked--
><< Memory cramp here, where is WICE?

WICE was one of the multitude of stations that got licensed in 1947-- I have
no idea why 1947 was such a big year for new AMs, but it seems there were a
number of smaller markets (like Lynn and Quincy) that got a new station that
year, as did WICE in Providence.

Speaking of stations we don't talk much about, how about WSAR?  "Fall
River's famous W S A R" went the singing jingle... there were a number of
important smaller market top-40 stations in the 50s and 60s. And whatever
did happen to WORC's Honest Dick Smith?  I recall from some of my record
promoter friends that WORC and WSAR actually broke some hits back in the
60s...