Re: Red Sox on WHDH?

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> And in 1948 when TV was still brand new in Boston, the Braves and the Red
> Sox signed an agreement with *both* WBZ-TV and WNAC-TV.  They agreed to let
> the games be broadcast for free (!)-- can you imagine that today-- during
> 1948, and they agreed to allow WBZ-TV to have first crack at the games
> because WNAC-TV was not yet fully operational.  Once WNAC went on the air,
> the agreement stated that WBZ and WNAC would split the games equally during
> the remainder of the season. So if you vaguely recall a Red Sox game on
> WNAC, you may be right-- in 1948, it was allowed if WBZ couldn't handle a
> game due to other commitments...

No, I don't recall that.  For one thing, we didn't have a TV in 1948, and
I didn't know what one was.  We got our TV late in 1949.  My mother says
it was because my father wanted to watch the World Series.  What I
remember is that he went down to Connecticut to visit his brother and,
when he came back, he was talking about having seen Kukla, Fran, and Ollie
on their TV.  He soon began talking about getting a TV.

I remember the day it was delivered.  I was 4 1/2 years old, but I even
seem to remember that it was a Tuesday.  The man took it out of the box
and set it up, then turned it on, and there was a test pattern.  The first
program to come on, at 5:00, was Kukla, Fran, and Ollie.  After that was
Howdy Doody.

I didn't know at that point what a baseball game was, other than a
strange-sounding radio program that my father sometimes listened to.  When
I started to see him watching it on television, he started to explain to
me what was going on.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/