Re: Stephen Mindich

 1 Aug 1997, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 20:08:28 -0400, Keith Barry <barry@meol.mass.edu> said:
>
> >   I was looking through old Boston Globe TV/Radio pages just for fun when I
> > came across several articles mentioning Stephen Mindich, who had applied for
> > a TV station and had tried to buy WHRC-TV.Who is this guy, and where is he
>
> He is the CEO of Phoenix Media Group, and thus the owner of WFNX.

And Mindich's business partner is H. Barry Morris who is the president of
WFNX-FM. Mindich claimed that WFNX lost around $2 million since '83 before
it became a money maker in '87. The station billed $2,200,000 last
year(down there with WILD-AM and WXKS-AM). Considering the fact that
they probably have more unpaid interns than paid staffers, they probably
do okay in the profit table. But 'FNX's revenue is pocket change compared
to what Mindich's electronic and print publishing empire
is bringing in.

Mindich and his wife are Beacon Hill residents. He wasnt really the
most popular member of the community when WFNX fought Beacon Hill/Back Bay
stuffy neighborhood groups(and won) for the right to host summer concerts
on the Esplanade a couple years ago.

- -Mark