Re: Lowell Sun (was WCCM to be sold...)

>And speaking of the Lowell Sun, it seems radio and TV news don't even bother
>to cover labour issues anymore-- unless it's from a pro-big business point
>of view. Buried on an inner page of the Herald was the word that the new
>owners of the Sun, after first promising that everyone would keep their job,
>may be letting numerous people go and have told the staff that everyone has
>to re-apply for their jobs, ostensibly at lower pay... it seems the same
>greed that has afflicted radio is certainly prevalent in newspaper chains...
>(and I do miss local ownership...) I saw nothing about the Lowell Sun story
>anywhere on TV and heard nothing about it on radio-- lots of people losing
>their media jobs isn't news?  Btw, a moment of nostalgia for Lechmere--
>Montgomery Ward ruined that store, but I am still going to miss it.  I miss
>Jordan Marsh too.  Boston is becoming a city with the same stores as
>everywhere else... no individuality.  Other than the legendary owner of
>WJIB, can a stand-alone company that is unique to its market still succeed?

Donna, I think the lack of coverage of the Lowell Sun situation goes well
beyond the labor issues (and I am a union member!).  Despite the fact that
most Boston electronic media outlets have a range of 50 to 75 miles from
their transmitters, they will generally not cover this kind of story if it
is from anywhere outside of Route 128.  What do they think, that the people
of greater Lowell get TV stations from elsewhere instead?

They all also seemed to get the Lechmere story wrong last night.  According
to today's Boston Globe, Monkey Ward has only asked the bankruptcy court
for permission to close down Lechmere.  It was premature to announce
"Lechmere will be closing" before court permission is granted.  In a rush
by everyone to be first, it seems they all got the story wrong!!

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH