Re: MESSAGE ID: 1EC610858

At 05:22 PM 7/31/97 +0000, you wrote:

>There IS a precedence for this in North America, although not for a DJ-
> music-and-personality format. CBC radio in Canada (both their news and
> information [AM] and fine arts [FM stereo] networks) uses a system
> (which may have started out as tape but may now be some kind of hard-
> drive) in conjunction with the Anik satellite to put out five different
> feeds of programming (Atlantic/Newfoundland, Eastern, Central, Mountain,
> and Pacific) so programming airs at the same time everywhere (except in
> Newfoundland, where it airs at the same time as in the Atlantic time
> zone; however, with Newfoundland being 30 minutes ahead of Atlantic
> time, a program airing at 12 noon in the Atlantic time zone airs at
> 12:30 P.M. in Newfoundland).

The late KidStar Network, which, until its demise, was heard locally on
WNFT, used such a system. I don't know whther it was multiple satellite
feeds or hard-drive delay. In Boston, of course, there was no delay. But the
programs originated in Seattle, which meant that the DJ who did AM drive
went on the air at 3:00 AM local time in Seattle, but his program was not
heard in Seattle until three hours later. For most satellite-fed
programming, I think four transponders would be necessary. Except for a few
well-healed large-market stations, the local owners would be unwilling to
spend the necessary $ on the technology. Moreover, most of those who did,
would screw it up anyhow.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205